Department of Veterinary Forensics, Law and Economics

Last change: 18.09.2017 09:35
NameDepartment of Veterinary Forensics, Law and Economics
Head of UnitÓzsvári László
Address1078 Budapest István u. 2.
Postal address1400 Budapest Pf. 2
Phone+361 478 4185
Fax+361 478 4186
Extension+361 478 4100 / 8590, 8591
LocationBuilding L III. Floor

History of the Department

State veterinary medicine and forensic veterinary studies have been taught at the university since 1793, the establishment of the State Medicine Department. The first lecturer of the department was Ferenc Schraud. Among the lecturers of the state medicine the followings were prominent: Károly Böhm (1814-1845), József Hoffner (1826-1841), Vilmos Zlamál (1841-1881), Ákos Azary (1881-1888), Róbert Dubravszky (1890-1912), László Fokányi (1912-1933) and Vilmos Horváth (1879-1949) and from the lecturers of the forensic veterinary medicine: Béla Plósz (1888-1899), Ferenc Hutyra (1899-1933) and Rezső Manninger (1933-1946). In 1946 the Department of State Veterinary Medicine and Forensic Veterinary Medicine was established as a separate department with Jenő Schwanner (1946-1963) as the Head of Department. The work of the Head of Department was continued by László Várnagy (1963-1982). Following Várnagy?s retirement the teaching of the state veterinary medicine was continued by László Visnyei and the teaching of forensic veterinary medicine by Gyula Lami. Since Lami?s retirement László Visnyei has been in charge of teaching both of the subjects. The Department of Economics which was a separate department between 1988 and 1995 was integrated into the Department of State Veterinary Medicine and Forensic Veterinary Medicine in 1995 as a separate section of the department with the establishment of the Department of State Veterinary Medicine and Agricultural Economics.